|Police restrain John and Philip Scalise after they view the body of their murdered brother.|
|New York Times|
Four slugs struck and instantly killed Scalise. He suffered gunshot wounds to neck, head and arm. The gunmen exited the store, jumped into a double-parked black sedan and sped away.
Mazzare witnessed the killing but provided little useful information to the police: "Suddenly two men brushed by me. I heard some shots, and I looked around. These two men were hurrying by me again. They weren't wearing coats and they had their sleeves rolled up. They got into an old black sedan and went up Arthur Avenue." Mazzare was taken into custody as a material witness.
Scalise's blue 1956 Cadillac was parked a couple of blocks away on Crescent Avenue, near the candy store run by his brother Jack. Police brought Jack and Philip Scalise to Mazzare's shop to identify their brother's remains. (Jack left the country for Italy a short time later. He was spotted on a visit to the U.S. in 1959 and quickly brought before a grand jury investigating the 1957 murder.)
Later in the day, Bronx District Attorney Daniel V. Sullivan told the press, "Thus far this appears to be definitely a gangland killing. [Scalise] was regarded as a big shot and kingpin in this area."
|Frank Scalise and Charlie Luciano.|
- "Underworld figure murdered in Bronx," New York Times, June 18, 1957, p. 1.
- "Gunmen end Scalise's life," Albany NY Times-Union (Associated Press), June 18, 1957, p. 5.
- "Scalise slain; pal of Costello and Luciano, Albany NY Knickerbocker News (Associated Press), June 18, 1957, p. 7.
- "Scalise bank box divulges no clue," New York Times, June 19, 1957, p. 40.
- "Scalise data checked," New York Times, June 20, 1957, p. 21.
- "Hint Scalise doubled as 'loan shark,'" New York Post, June 20, 1957, p. 40.
- "Police photograph funeral of Scalise," New York Times, June 23, 1957, p. 58.
- "Bronx' Scalise gets gangland sendoff," New York Post, June 23, 1957, p. 2.
- Katz, Leonard, "Bail cut, witness to Scalise murder is let out of jail," New York Post, July 9, 1957, p. 21.
- Katz, Leonard, and Abel Silver, "Scalise: Little Italy's fourth unsolved murder," New York Post, July 28, 1957, p. 12.
- "Scalise brother flies in, seized," New York World Telegram and Sun (Brooklyn), April 4, 1959, p. 1.
- "Scalise brother held," New York Times, April 5, 1959, p. 34.
- "Scalise inquiry begins," New York Times, April 7, 1959, p. 19.
- "Scalise in Paris," Kingston NY Daily Freeman (Associated Press), April 28, 1959, p. 5.